The Pursuit of a Life of Praise

In your majesty ride forth victoriously in behalf of truth, humility and righteousness; let your right hand display awesome deeds. Let your sharp arrows pierce the hearts of the king's enemies; let the nations fall beneath your feet. Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom. You love righteousness and hate wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy. ~ Psa 45:4-7

12.20.2005

Awful, Terribly Awful

Well, I cut my hair off! Really - all gone! I cut over 5 inches off. Geeze I was unsure about it all weekend until Tuesday. This is going to be one of those blogs that only girls can appreciate, but it's my blog and I can write about whatever I want, so don't read it if you don't want to. I only had 28 minutes to take a shower, fix my hair, make my face presentable, brush my teeth, get dressed, and get in the car. And believe me, getting in the car is an actually task when you tell your 4 year old child to sit down and buckle up at least 3 times in 13 degree weather! Okay, so, I'm crunched for time and I'm sitting here like, "Crap! There is no way that I can figure out in 2 hours how this (referring to my hair) should be fixed much less in minutes out of the 28 that I have left. So, I just dove in! Curl it hair, spray that stuff there, fluff it up in the back, and BAM! Smokin' hot, if I do say so myself! Okay, so Wednesday rolls around. Now, keep in mind that I look forward to Wednesday after I leave church every Sunday. So, I'm excited to be going to church. I am planning all this food for the Youth Christmas party, so I'm gonna be doing a lot of running around and stuff like that. So, I put a little umph (this isn't really a word, necessarily, but more of a sound or great emphasis, get it?) in my hair. Oh boy, does it have some volume! I continue with my day, ya know, the usual - go drop Caleb off at the day care, go to work, pick Caleb up, run some errands, head home to finish the meal for the party, go to the grocery store, and then head for church. Well, I couldn't tell you exactly when the moment hit amist the busy schedule, but by the time that I started setting up all the party platers and the food and all the trimmings - I hated the hair! I hated it! Maybe "hate" is a strong word, but I use it here to describe the intense insecurities that I felt as a result of the hair cut. I no longer felt pretty! And, as a women, there are days that you feel really cute and days that you don't. It's my experience that usually people don't share the same views on the same days, but I felt like it was written all over me, "This is quite possibly the ugliest day that I've ever experienced, and by the way, your hair cut looks like that of a sixth grader!" At the party someone even came up to me and said that I looked like I had a "mom hair cut"! Okay, if there is a piercing with a double-edged sword that compares to none other, then this comment was the double-edged sword minus one. She meant it in all sweetness and used it as a compliment, but really it only shown light to the truth that the hair cut is the worst. The one good thing about this hidious hair cut is that it has taken some edge of the "no dating" policy going on right now. Now, even if I wanted to try to impress someone, the prospect is obsolete! At least when I did have the longer hair and I put it up all the time, I had the security of knowing that I could have it down, if I so chose to. It was kinda like a back up plan, so to speak. The option was always there. I wasn't going to look weird having my hair back, because everyone kinda expected it. It was an unexpected treat to have it down, usually a result of a random whim or extra couple minutes to get ready. But, now, no option! It's even too short to pretend that I could put it up if in case I needed to. Gosh! I got too antsy! This is one of the problems with the "all or nothing" theme in which I live my life. See, it usually gets me into trouble! So, moral of this random blog - don't run with an unexpected, random desire to chop all of your hair off, just to be spontaneous without first consulting a trusted confidant. (By the way, Elise went with me ;-) At least it doesn't look like this, I suppose . . .

3 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get over yourself, Jen! You are HOT no matter what the length... Geeze!

G

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Elise said...

You jerkface! I don't think it would've mattered if I told you not to cut your hair, you probably would've anyway. I try to do too much livin for you as it is...you don't need me telling you how to cut your hair. And I totally agree with Gina anyways. A haircut doesn't change your gorgeousness or your inner beauty. So yeah...get over yourself! ;)

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Elise! I meant, "By the way, Elise went with me . . ." as is "I'm an idiot and it wouldn't have mattered anyway if she said anything!" But thanks for the lift. And as always, I will try to get over myself!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home