The Pursuit of a Life of Praise

In your majesty ride forth victoriously in behalf of truth, humility and righteousness; let your right hand display awesome deeds. Let your sharp arrows pierce the hearts of the king's enemies; let the nations fall beneath your feet. Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom. You love righteousness and hate wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy. ~ Psa 45:4-7

12.14.2007

My Christmas dilemna!

Well, well, well...there are only 11 days left until Christmas! Are you ready? Everyone asks that, do you hear that question alot? How are you even supposed to answer? Do they mean, "Do you have all your presents?" or "Are you done wrapping?" or what? What I really think it is, is the filler question! What I mean by that is, ya know....the social question to fill the time. Who knows what I mean? Another example of this is the famous, "Hey! How are you?" but walking away before they answer. Or the "Hey, how's it going?" Instead of the normal, "Hello!" greeting. Or maybe the "ready" question is just a secret status update...like, "Did you get a present for everyone yet, bc I want someone else to tell me that they aren't done so I'm not the only fool not done!"

Either way, I think in all of these aspects of whatever the real meaning of this posed question, I'm not ready. I don't have everyone done, and I really don't think I'm going to get everyone done, and to be honest, I'm not that ok with it. I have a couple of people done and that's probably all I need. Of course, if I had a million dollars, I could think of 9 other people to get presents for, but I think that this year, I'm drawing the line.

This is the first for me, to be this confined in my giving. I am dealing with that. I know that might sound weird, but I used to get this and that for so and so and then get another present for them from Caleb, but this year's different AND I refuse to go into debt just to be a people pleaser. I am being delivered from this mentality and this is just a tiny step Jesus in taking me in so that my mind can be renewed and I can be set free. Anyway, I think there are alot of us "People Pleasers" in the world. I know my house is full of them. I married one and we are trying to keep our son protected from learning it, but already you can see the signs in him.

Here are only 3 ways to find out if you fall into this "People Pleasing" category:
  • ARE YOU COMPLETELY HONEST WITH OTHERS?
  • DO YOU DO THINGS OUT OF DUTY VS. DESIRE?
  • ARE YOU CONSTANTLY SACRIFICING YOUR OWN LEGITIMATE NEEDS?

Well, my answers are "no, most of the time duty, yes and then getting bitter with the person or thing that I am helping." I'm a total people pleaser. God is helping me. Anyway, Christmas is just one area that God is using to deliver me. I appreciate that, but it really sucks, just to be honest with you. I know for a fact that people are getting me gifts that I can not get gifts for in return and I know that this is not the purpose for Christmas anyway, but in my own warped mind, that's always been the way that it is. I also know that I am going to hate being completely uncomfortable opening and taking these gifts knowing all this. I hate that awkwardness! Anyway, this is the post today...am I alone? Any thoughts to share?

5 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jen, if you are always the person being the blessing, than you are stealing others' chance to bless you. There is a difference between letting someone bless you and becoming a cheapskate mooch. Don't feel like the latter just because you are doing the former.
Pete

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger BethAnne said...

You said, "Any thoughts to share?"

My thoughts are that you are right on track in your thinking. Christmas is about Jesus birth not stressing out over buying gifts and spending more than you have on things people dont need.

How about this......make some cookies, banana bread, fudge or some sort of baked thing. Go to the dollar store and buy some tins to put them in. Give it to the people who buy you something. It is all about the fact that you love those people - how many of them really NEED anything anyway? It would show you care about them enough to spend time making something for them to enjoy.

Otherwise, dont worry about the gifts. It isnt our birthday anyway.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas guys! God has been so good to us in just the short time that this post as been written...we received 2 blessings by check and someone took us out to lunch yesterday after church! How cool is God! Chad said to me after the first check, "Now I can get you a present, Baby!" It was very cool! I love our Jesus! I pray that you both would be enriched in every way this Christmas season and that God grants all of your hearts secret desires and petitions in unexpected, but abundant ways!

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Great post, Jen.
Before Christmas sneaks up on us, I wanted to wish you folks a very Merry Christmas!!
God Bless!
-Steve

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Advocate Mommy said...

STEVE! Yay! Hi! Merry Christmas to you and your family! I have been meaning to respond to your email. I need to change it on here. It's JenniferTro@gmail.com but it won't let me change it from the other one or if there is a way, I don't know how to do it. Oh well! God is awesome! I pray blessings on your family during this joyous season!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home