The Pursuit of a Life of Praise

In your majesty ride forth victoriously in behalf of truth, humility and righteousness; let your right hand display awesome deeds. Let your sharp arrows pierce the hearts of the king's enemies; let the nations fall beneath your feet. Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom. You love righteousness and hate wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy. ~ Psa 45:4-7

2.23.2006

Coal Basket Bible

The story is told of an old man who lived on a farm in the mountains of eastern Kentucky with his young grandson.
Each morning, Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading from his old worn-out Bible. His grandson who wanted to be just like him tried to imitate him in any way he could. One day the grandson asked, "Papa, I try to read the Bible just like you but I don't understand it, and what I do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good is it to read the Bible?"

The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the stove and said, "Take this coal basket down to the river and bring back a basket of water." The boy did as he was told, even though all the water leaked out before he could get back to the house.
The grandfather laughed and said, "You will have to move a little faster next time," and sent him back to the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and he went to get a bucket instead.
The old man said, "I don't want a bucket of water; I want a basket of water. You can do this. You're just not trying hard enough," and he went out the door to watch the boy try again. At this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak out before he got far at all. The boy scooped the water and ran hard, but when he reached his grandfather the basket was again empty.
Out of breath, he said, "See Papa, it's useless!"
"So you think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the basket." The boy looked at the basket and for the first time he realized that the basket looked different. Instead of a dirty old coal basket, it was clean. "Son, that's what happens when you read the Bible. You might not understand or remember everything, but when you read it, it will change you from the inside out.”

That is the work of God in our lives: to change us from the inside out and to slowly transform us into the image of His son.

Rom. 8:28 – 29, 10:17
~ We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
~ Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.

5 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen, this was so awesome... where did you find this gem of a story? I miss you oodles and ooodles!!!!!!!!

G LOVE :)

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Jen said...

It actually is an email that a dear old friend sent me. I like it! I miss you like the mostest! I like the new pic!

 
At 12:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen-
Thank you again for a wonderful day!!! I needed it so
much and I'm so thankful for
YOU!!!! You are such a blessing
and inspiration to me. You give
me the greatest encouragement
and love a friend could give.
I'm so excited how much God is
planning on blessing you so much more for being such a faithful, loving servant of God. He shine's through you so brightly. I love you and everything your about. I pray that God will continue to shine through you. I aspire to be an amazing woman of God like yourself.
Anyway,I Can't wait till Wednesday!
I'm so excited to look feminine in
my beautiful belly with awesome, girly clothes. Thanks Again! It meant so much to me. I too can't wait to have this bundle of joy and to put that adorable ducky outfit on Him/Her.
ooo I'm just so excited!!!!
Love You!!
Jaz

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Katelyn Ashley said...

jen dittmann, you are so...you, and i love love love you! you inspire me. you're life inspires me. you are an inspiration! God, thankyou for jen and who she is!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Wonderful story!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home